Sunday, July 30, 2006

Gold Bracelet Hallmarks

Jewelry Maker's Marks are the hardest to find as you will see from this recent query I had.

QUESTION..? I HAVE AN OLD LINK STYLE SHAMROCK BRACELET MARKED 14K...C+B...I ASSUME C+B IS A MAKERS MARK BUT I CAN FIND NO INFORMATION ON THIS MAKER ANYWHERE! PLEASE HELP!

ANSWER..! You are correct in saying the 14K (NOT a British Hallmark) is for 14 carat gold and the CB is as you suggested a Makers or design mark.

However; after date letter hallmarks, Maker's Marks are the Hardest to get classified as anyone can make jewelry, and any country can produce jewelry without complying to any register.

This makes the NON-FAMOUS jewelers out there, almost impossible to find.

You might (if you have a lot of time available) like to browse one of my favorite websites at this address: http://home.wxs.nl/~luijt005/hallm.htm or you might like to slip over to Antique Jewelry of the 20th Century at: http://www.jewellery-antiques.com where you can sign up for a bonus Hallmarking 4 part email course.

Even though it's for British Hallmarks, I'm sure you will learn a great deal from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment