Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Olympics are here! Go USA!!!

I am so excited!!  The Olympics are here!  Of course I am most excited about gymnastics!  I was a competitive gymnast for years and am a level 10 judge now.   The US team is awesome and I wish I could be there!  One of these days I am determined to make it to an Olympics!  We actually were in Athens 5 days before the last Olympics...so close!  Anyway, several friends have been asking me about the Olympic scoring system for gymnastics, so here is a brief explanation:
 A perfect 10 is no longer an option!  This (in my opinion) is both a positive and a negative.  There was always something amazing about achieving that perfect 10!  It was historical- think Mary Lou!  Now there are 2 panels of judges- panel A scores the difficulty of the skills being performed (valued at A through G, G being worth the most).  Panel B scores the execution and artistry of the skills- basically how well they are performed.  The gymnast gets points for each skill she performs based on the value and loses points for mistakes.  Then the 2 panels add their scores together for a combined score.  The gymnasts who are doing the more difficult skills will be rewarded, over the gymnasts who play it safe.  You will see scores in the 15's, 16's, and 17's.  
For all the Olympic highlights and the schedule, go to  http://www.nbcolympics.com/ or http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/index_uk.asp.  Enjoy and GO USA!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment